Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) is storage for the Internet. Through the use of pioneering techniques in storage & computing, customers can reliably store their data on Amazon's proven computing infrastructure to achieve virtually limitless storage capacity at minimal cost. Amazon S3 provides a simple web services interface that enables customers to store and retrieve any amount of data from anywhere in the world. It provides all customers access to the same highly scalable, reliable, secure, fast, inexpensive infrastructure that Amazon uses to run its own global network of websites. The service aims to maximize benefits of scale and to pass those benefits on to the customers.
This position is for the S3 Replication team in Vancouver, Canada. Customers use replication to easily make copies of their S3 objects in AWS regions. The Replication Time Control, feature of the S3 Replication, provides a predictable replication time backed by a Service Level Agreement (SLA). The S3 Replication helps customers meet compliance or business requirements for replication, and provides visibility into the replication process with new Amazon CloudWatch Metrics. You will focus on the challenges of managing software to handle the vast array of S3 use cases with performance being the central binding theme. You will brainstorm new experiences with customers that break ground in enabling new enterprise workloads on S3. You will lead a group of engineers to build solutions that impact a wide range of customers with a focus on standards in coding, testing, and delivery. The applicant for this role possess solid leadership, delivery track record, analytical, and problem-solving skills. The ability to translate technical requirements through all the levels of the software stack is essential. If this sounds like you, come join us and help AWS continue to write the cloud computing story for the industry.
Work-life Balance: Our team works together to provide work/life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so we're all able to maintain standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives.
On-Call Responsibility: S3 services are highly available, but there are times when we occasionally stray away from our normal operations. To minimize the impact of such excursions, we have on-call rotations. However, we set these up so there are focused time periods when you are on-call and when you are not, so you can focus on your day job when not on-call.
Mentorship & Career Growth: We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level, etc. You can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Inclusive Team Culture: We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Amazon Women and Engineering, and LGBTQ+
Key job responsibilities
* Lead a group of engineers to design and build cutting edge solutions that impact a wide range of customer needs.
* Have end to end ownership of major engineering projects to solve some of the most complex technical problems.
* Create processes that can be leveraged to help drive efficiencies and quality
* Work on new designs/solutions, bringing them from concept to launch and operations
* Drive operational excellence projects to drive improvements in our system test plans, quality and reliability
* Work with a wide range of technologies
* Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that will span multiple AWS services and teams
* Drive high quality engineering artifacts (designs, code, tests, monitoring) and best practices that will model engineering for the team
* Make technology decisions that meet business challenges while balancing long term and short-term needs.
* Work closely with internal AWS teams, product managers and customers to collect feedback and turn them into big ideas and solutions
* Hire and develop talents to create high-performing team
* Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
A day in the life
A day in the S3 Replication SDM (Software Development Manager) life starts with customer obsession, thinking about customers and inventing on their behalf. You dedicate time every day to grow your team, find blind spots, interact with stakeholders, gather customers feedback, and remove blockers.
About the team
The S3 Replication team obsesses over our customers. Our actions, goals, projects, programs and inventions begin and end with the customer top of mind. In other words, we start with the customer and work backwards. In addition, we prioritize operational excellence projects to drive system's improvements. We believe in philosophy to work hard, have fun and make history.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
• Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 2+ years of experience managing an Agile team of 5+ software engineers
• 5+ years of professional experience in software development
• Experience building scalable with service oriented architectures
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, e.g. Java, Python, or C++
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or an equivalent in relevant work experiencePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• A deep understanding of software engineering practices, object oriented analysis & , patterns and algorithms
• Demonstrated strong technical judgment in conjunction with passionate customer-focus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience delivering cloud services will be a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming