Position Summary BUILDING MANAGER - NON RESIDENT Job ID: 3998 SHORT-TERM (APROX END DATE: OCTOBER 1, 2022)/FULL-TIME Location: VANCOUVER, BC To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada. THE ORGANIZATION
- Join one of BC's Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people. Our mission
is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they've helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they're here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees' current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status ** BUILDING MANAGER - NON RESIDENT POSITION SUMMARY
Functions as the Commission's representative in matters of resident relations and building management at the site(s). CANDIDATE PROFILE The successful candidate will have the following: EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will be a Grade 12 graduate, preferably with post-secondary education in th esocial services related field and one year's experience as a Building Manager or equivalent. You also possess good organizational and problem solving skills and have intermediate MS office skills.
This position may require travel between sites; a valid class 5 driver's license and satisfactory driving record and access to transportation will be required. Please Note: Successful applicant(s) will be required to complete a satisfactory criminal record check KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Maintains order and appearance of the "common" and "public" areas, including vacant dwellings:
- Clears areas by washing, sweeping, snow and ice removal and application of ice melt products, carpet cleaning, mopping, vacuuming, polishing and general cleaning and minor grounds upkeep, including outside litter pick-up and maintaining the integrity and compliance of recycling programs;
- Answers and determines emergency calls and notifies appropriate authorities;
- Generates work orders for maintenance staff and external contractors;
- Performs unit inspections and assists with annual inspections; responding to or processing resident enquiries and complaints and taking appropriate action; completes incidence and other reports; and delivers notices and forms as requested;
- Calls the police or related Public Service in the event of emergency or disturbances such as notifying police of incidents or problems or contacting other resources as appropriate;
- Responds to resident enquiries, complaints, emergencies, provides information/clarification as required and takes appropriate action at all times during their work week;
- Responsible for performing the duties of a deputy fire safety director, as outlined in the Employer's building fire safety plans, during the normal workday;
- Required to exercise interpersonal and conflict resolution skills when dealing with the resident population;
- Coordinates, trains and assigns work under direction of the Building Manager Supervisor. Functions as lead by performing all of the duties of the Building Manager Supervisor for alone site(s) without the requirement to participate in recruitment and selection, recommending discipline and the supervision of staff.
2. Performs minor maintenance duties throughout the site:
- Minor electrical duties, such as changing fuses, stove elements, switch/outlet covers, light bulbs and tubes, check breakers, test emergency lighting, check/reset time clocks and adjust thermostats;
- Minor electrical in suites; zone valves for operation, clean and test smoke alarms, mechanical room inspection of mechanical equipment, reset pumps/boilers, check/reset thermostats on electrical hot water tanks and relight pilots;
- Minor plumbing maintenance such as change/repair flappers, P traps/J bends, washer/stems, spouts/aerators, shower heads, flush handles, toilet seats, bleed air from heating system, check shutoffs, caulk bathtubs, fix mechanical stops in tubs/sinks, winterize plumbing systems, clean sink traps, snake drains, toilet auger to be used (if required);
- Minor carpentry maintenance such as hardware replacement (locks, stops, strikers, handles, hinges, back sets), adjust weather stripping, repair/replace bathroom hardware and accessories, repair drapery tracks and fittings, secure broken windows and doors, touch-up painting and staining, adjust handrails, caulking, adjust door closers;
- Minor mechanical maintenance such as change filters and emergency generator start-up;
- Minor applicance maintenance such as change butter doors, freezer doors, crisper trays, bottle bars, moving and levelling of appliances, duct work repairs for dryers, replace supply hose for washers;
- Minor exterior maintenance such as fencing (re-nailing boards and repair hardware), repair/replace signage and numbers, clean gutters and debris from roofs, water flower and shrub beds which will deteriorate through lack of water;
- Performs various inspections on a regular basis i.e. boiler rooms, fire alarm logs, security systems, etc., or on vacancy and arranges for repairs and/or maintenance;
- Identifies minor deficiencies in the performance of routine work specifications (e.g. painting services, flooring, millwork, pesticides applications, etc.), reports to the Contractor and facilitates remedial action. Identifies and reports major deviations in contract performance to the supervisor;
- Arranges for Contractor to view site, enter units when necessary, and ensures that maintenance projects are coordinated with site operations;
- Other related duties as directed.
3. Other related duties:
- Carries out authorized removal of abandoned personal effects from a tenant's premises providing inventory is taken jointly with a management representative;
- When required, shall operate the Employer's vehicle;
- Maintains and requisitions inventory of cleaning and maintenance supplies from the Building Manager Supervisor or Property Portfolio Manager;
- Conducts arranged unit viewing for prospective tenants;
Management and Executive