Amazon Relational Database Services (Amazon RDS) is looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer to be responsible for and lead our sustainable software development and test strategy. You will own and develop tools and frameworks that scales with our software, organization, and use.
Our service provides managed, reliable, scalable and highly available relational databases on demand, and we are currently supporting the largest fleet of relational databases on Earth. We minimize the effort required to maintain SQL databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage, setting up replicas for load-spreading and DR, and high availability / redundancy, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses.
This position is right for you if you are passionate about solving the ambiguous software challenges on behalf of our customers and users. To be successful on this journey, you love having high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and always look for opportunities to make our services better. You are deeply customer focused: understand multiple customers' challenges, and you are constantly looking for ways to pursue them. You have excellent communication skills, and enjoy working in an exciting, creative, passionate and collaborative team environment.
Key job responsibilities
- Own the definition of Product release and certification process, along with any and all enabling tooling and frameworks.
- Set the vision of the organization and the direct team you are responsible for.
- Work with other Technical and people leaders in the org to continuously advocate, evolve and promote the best practices and drive feature requirements.
- Give technical direction to team members and enable their career growth.
- Architecting and Coding frameworks, libraries and tests.
A day in the life
You have a passion for software development and are ready to step up from being just a coder - you're comfortable in the open-source and Linux worlds, can proficiently write code in more than a couple of languages and are picking up new ones as needed. You can explain why various design patterns are both awesome and constraining, you've seen code fail (and fixed) in production in spectacular ways - and learned from it. You've come to the understanding that being passionate about an idea is different from taking it personally, and believe that debate makes strong ideas stronger.
You've written lots of software, shipped products and contributed to platforms, tools and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models you understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day - and relish them. You love to learn new things and to grow.
Who are you? You're the new Software Development Engineer joining us at RDS. We work hard, have fun and make history - let's go play.
About the team
We're an internally-focused team making deep changes to tooling, infrastructure, processes, and control plane components within the Relational Database Service, one of the fastest growing businesses within AWS.
The AWS Relational Database Service is one of the fastest-growing AWS businesses, providing super-simple provisioning and management for databases in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, backups, disaster recovery, and monitoring are all reliably handled by our control systems. Providing such simplified management for customers comes with the challenge of building sophisticated and reliable control systems. Our group in AWS addresses these challenges by developing services that reflect the latest advances in high availability, data dissemination and replication, load balancing, autonomous management, and repair.
For more information about RDS, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Understanding of networking, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, distributed computing and best practices related to same.
- Excellent understanding of the basic areas of Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object-Oriented Design, Databases.
- Experience developing microservices.
- Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and agile development environment.
- Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership and closely work with development team to drive product improvement
- Passion for automation and providing a great customer experience.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming