Amazon WorkSpaces is a managed desktop computing service in the cloud. Amazon WorkSpaces allows customers to easily provision cloud-based desktops that allow end-users to access the documents, applications and resources they need with the device of their choice, including laptops, iPad, Kindle Fire, Android tablets, and zero clients. With a few clicks in the AWS Management Console, customers can provision a high-quality cloud desktop experience for any number of users at a cost that is highly competitive with traditional desktops and half the cost of most virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) solutions.
The Amazon WorkSpaces Linux team is looking for engineers with systems knowledge and experience in developing kernel features, bringing up Linux on new platforms and tooling associated with the performance characterization, qualification, software install and deployment of our Linux based WorkSpaces. These WorkSpaces will be supporting live updates, logs and metrics collections, core dump collection, monitoring system health, etc.
The baseline individual for this role will be entirely comfortable with the Linux operating system concepts and demonstrate development skills in languages such as C, C++, Python, BASH or Lua in a Linux environment. It would be attractive if you have experience with Linux package management, version control systems, automated build processes, and software unit testing. An understanding of and experience in contributing to open source projects is a plus. Specific in depth knowledge of the use, design, and development of Linux operating system internals, including the kernel and hypervisor is required for this role.
This team is a good fit for you if:
- You are sensitive to customer needs and interested in having a firsthand impact on Amazon's global customer base
- You truly care about the business results of what you build, not just the elegance of the technology
- You like to solve interesting technology problems
- You enjoy collaborating in a diverse team environment
- You are a passionate learner and motivated to take on new challenges.
- You want to have fun; surround yourself with a highly talented pool of engineers that like to solve complex problems, but also enjoy work life balance.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee -led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We put a high value on work-life balance. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Locations: Bellevue, WA; Seattle, WA; Sunnyvale, CA; Atlanta, GA; Arlington, VA.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 3+ years of industry experience with C/C++ development
- A BA or BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrable mastery of programming
- Professional experience in one of the following: hypervisor development, kernel development, high-performance systems programming, peripheral firmware development or system firmware
- Experience developing Linux modules, Linux Networking, bare-metal software, firmware, boot-loaders, board bringups
- Expertise in AWS technologies such as EC2, EBS and S3
- Professional experience with Linux Systems including familiarity with systems programming and shell scripting/tools
- Someone who values and thrives in an environment rich with diversity of people and ideas
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming