Does solving technical challenges in cloud computing motivate you? Come join the AWS Relational Database Service (RDS) team and help us innovate solutions for databases in the AWS cloud!
The RDS team is the largest cloud database business in the world, providing super-simple provisioning and management for databases in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, fail-over, and monitoring are automated by our control systems. Providing simplified management for customers comes with the challenge of building sophisticated and reliable control systems. The systems we build manage huge numbers of databases and vast amounts of storage world-wide, and our service is growing rapidly, requiring constant innovation in our system to handle the next order of magnitude in service scale.
RDS provides customers with databases that have multiple-nines of durability and availability. Achieving this level of reliability require control and monitoring systems that automatically detect and handle failures within seconds, and data replication options that accommodate global distribution and disaster recovery objectives. The challenge is further heightened by needing to handle huge numbers of databases and a wide variety of customer workloads. Also, we know how to have a good time as a team, we celebrate our successes, have team building events and celebrate birthdays and other life events.
As a part of a close-knit team of engineers that are agile, data driven, and highly collaborative, you will work with a wide variety of cutting edge technology to automate enterprise level databases with high reliability at massive scale. You will have the opportunity to propose ideas that positively impact our customers, owning major deliverables end-to-end, while working closely with experienced engineers and teams to execute on them. We value innovation and technical exploration through iterative development which includes project scoping & development practices that emphasize software excellence.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one day a month. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause and prioritize fixes to reduce operational load on team.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Bachelor's degree in computer science related fields OR 1+ years equivalent experience in software development
- You have a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Computer Science
- You are experienced with Aurora, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL or another major SQL database
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You have done previous technical internship(s)
- You are familiar with Cloud Computing and the AWS Cloud product suite
- You are experienced with more than one of Java, C/C++, .NET, Ruby, Grails, Perl, shell scripting or other
- You are a generalist familiar with more than one SDLC process, language, framework, platform and environment and are capable of diving into the deepest parts of technologies when called for
- You understand networking, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, distributed computing and best practices related to same
- You have a good understanding of web services, virtualization, SQL, Git, networking, and distributed systems
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming