Are you interested in building high-performance, globally scalable RDS systems that support AWS current and future growth? Do you have a passion for ensuring a positive customer experience? This is the job for you.
AWS Relational Database Service is one of the fastest growing businesses within Amazon providing automated relational database management in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, fail-over, and monitoring are all automatically handled by our control systems. In this position, you will be part of the core Platform team that works across the entire organization to discover opportunities to improve on the development lifecycle and velocity for building and running database applications.
What is in it for you?
Large scope and impact: Work on a service that will be used, directly and indirectly, by millions of customers.
Gratification: You will know you are solving problems most software developers don't yet know exist.
Critical: Databases are heart of many of our customers' applications.
Ownership: you will quickly become responsible for key components of the service.
Innovate: We learn from our customers and invent every day.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, then please come join us and help shape the future of AWS RDS.
Software Development Engineers will be responsible for development, delivery and support of large-, multi-tiered, software applications and tools.You will have the opportunity to lead the paradigm shift in computing by building applications on top of cutting-edge technologies such as SWF, SQS, DynamoDB, Aurora DB, EC2, and many more. As an Amazon engineer, you get to own the full lifecycle of your systems, work on challenging problems at "Amazon ", and collaborate with high-performance technical teammates and having fun doing it. You will also be responsible for defining the development standards, mentoring junior engineers and hiring for the team. You will work with business and other AWS teams and translate the requirements to technical deliverables and guide the team through the actual launch.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position does involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
• Experience with designing and building large scale systems
• Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, asynchronous architectures and distributed algorithms
• Experience developing in multiple languages
• Excellent problem solving skills; ability to simplify and innovate
• Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills
• Experience with contributing to open source
• Ability to collaborate, be both highly motivated and motivating
• Proven results oriented person with a bias to action
• Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science with emphasis on distributed systems or databases is a plus.
Software and Programming