Do you enjoy working on large-scale distributed systems? Do you want to influence how the world interacts with and analyzes large data sets across a number of industries and use cases? AWS EMR Control Plane team is looking for talented engineers to work on enhancing and scaling a heavily used AWS Service. If you want to work with a team solving some of the most interesting challenges in distributed systems, building solutions for large scale problems, please talk to us!
Amazon EMR is the industry leading cloud-native big data platform for processing vast amounts of data easily, quickly, and cost-effectively. Using open source tools such as Apache Spark, Apache Hive, Apache HBase, Apache Flink, and Presto, coupled with the dynamic scalability of Amazon EC2 and scalable storage of Amazon S3, EMR gives analytical teams the engines and elasticity to run Petabyte-scale analysis for a fraction of the cost of traditional on-premises clusters. We are developing innovative new features including our next-generation cluster management system, improvements for real-time processing of big data, and ways to enable customers to more easily interact with their data. For more information on EMR:
AWS EMR: https://aws.amazon.com/emr
AWS re:Invent 2019 Amazon EMR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIwJlfEAlHQ
In this role, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with and learn from senior and principal engineers who are domain experts at AWS. You will be part of a collaborative and growing team working on complex problems for a successful and long-running AWS service supporting an expanding customer base. We'll trust you to design and implement critical high performance, large scale services and libraries in collaboration with other internal development teams to solve key business problems with minimal technical supervision. We'll be looking to you to evangelize SDLC best practices across the organization, help refine operational procedures and workflows, and influence architectural decisions to achieve our technical and business goals. If you are an expert in distributed systems and looking to ramp up your skills to AWS scale, this is the role for you! We value engineers who love what they do and are passionate about their work. We appreciate ownership, curiosity, and craftsmanship over specific knowledge in certain frameworks. Our technologies include:
RESTful microservices powered by internal RPC framework
Many AWS services - EC2, S3, DynamoDB, Lambda, API Gateway, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, etc. (where can you learn AWS technologies better than at AWS itself?)
Kerberos, TLS, LDAP
We're looking for top system engineers to help scale, automate and operationalize our systems.
Key job responsibilities
Your key responsibilities include:
- Identifying and developing processes, tools, automation, and software changes to address top operational issues
- Working in close collaboration with software development leadership and support operations technical leads to shape the future roadmap and establish strong operational readiness across teams
- Leading change to develop simple, elegant solutions to complex operational or reliability challenges
- troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing production software issues (C/, Java, Ruby, Python),
- Develop metrics to measure, monitor and enforce production hygiene in the both our software and hardware lifecycle management
About the team
Roles within EMR are much more dynamic than a traditional enterprise where developers equally participate in ops tasks including customer outreach and the on-call rotation. We find that this overlap of roles helps to ensure that the engineers who own software can also experience it in production and are motivated to actively maintain it.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or closely related field and 2 or more years of professional experience
- 2+ years experience programming with one or more of the following modern programming/scripting languages such as Java
- Familiarity with Internet protocols such as HTTP, DNS, TCP, and UDP and Linux development environment
- Knowledge of web services technologies such as SOAP, HTTP, WSDL, XSD, and REST
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Expert skill in one modern programming language such as C, , or Java, and proficiency with one other programming language
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
- Strong distributed systems and web services design and implementation experience.
- Experience implementing servers in a Linux environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Law Enforcement and Security Quality Assurance