STO-RE 24R - Advisor, First Nations Relations Position Classification
Scientific/Tech Off R24 - Res Union
Multiple Locations, BC CA
Penticton, BC V2A 8X1 CA
Vernon, BC V1T 9V2 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$66,557.72 - $75,884.38 annually Close Date
1/30/2022 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> FLNRO and Rural Development Ministry Branch / Division
District of Okanagan Shuswap Job Summary Advisor, First Nations Relations
Scientific Technical Officer (Resource) 24
The purpose of this posting is to create an eligibility list for future temporary and/or permanent opportunities.
There is currently one (1) permanent vacancy and one (1) temporary vacancy running for an approximately one (1) year term. This may be extended or become permanent.
These positions may be located in Vernon or Penticton.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here . Employ your expert negotiation abilities to have a positive impact on Natural Resource Operations
The Okanagan Shuswap Natural Resource District team provides expert advice and decision support relating to multiple business areas in the district. The primary duties of the First Nations Relations Advisor are centered on conducting consultations forthe use of natural resources on Crown land and determining the impact on First Nations' identified or potential traditional use areas.
A skilled and effective written and verbal communicator, you communicate with First Nations on natural resource applications and liaise with ministry staff as an expert on the legal and procedural requirements of First Nations consultation. A collaborative approach is crucial to this role as you successfully establish and maintain productive working relationships with a wide variety of contacts from: First Nations, industry, contractors, environmental agencies, stakeholders and provincial and federal agencies.
If you are seeking to apply your sound professional judgement and implement progressive solutions in the natural resources area, we look forward to your application.
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-9laHaKyc&feature=youtu.be .
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Kelly.Chiatto@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS
. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you. NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition. Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experienceas outlined below:
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- Bachelor's Degree in resource management field or other relevant discipline and a minimum two (2) years' related experience. Other relevant equivalent combination of education, experience and training may be considered; OR,
- Diploma in the natural resource sector or a related field and a minimum three (3) years of related experience; OR,
- An equivalent combination of education & experience in the natural resource field may be considered.
- Related experience must include a combination of the following:
- At least one (1) years' experience participating in consultations and/or negotiations with First Nations.
- Experience in developing and implementing creative solutions to complex problems.
- Experience leading or supporting consultation, negotiations, developing and/or supporting agreements, preferably with First Nations.
- Experience in managing multiple projects and assignments.
- Experience conducting research and analysis related to land use, resource management, social or economic development issues.
- Minimum one (1) year experience working with First Nations communities and facilitating First Nations consultations and engagement. (Preference may be given to applicants with three (3) or more years experience)
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver's licence or equivalent.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC)will berequired.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Cover Letter: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Resume: YES
- A resume is required as part of your application, however, itmay notbe used for initial shortlisting purposes. Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire. IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments. Job Category
Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical