Amazon is hiring highly skilled Senior Software Engineers to lead a number of technical teams in our Vancouver development office. The types of projects range from Big Data infrastructure, to transactional distributed systems, SaaS solutions, or even Payment Services handling frontend and backend components.
To succeed as a Senior Software Engineer, you need to be creative, responsible, and able to dig deep into emerging technologies. You will think about business opportunities, operational issues, architectural improvements, and the customer perspective in the source of a single conversation. You will need to have a deep mastery of programming languages, distributed system design, and performance.
You will also play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development on the teams and projects you lead.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working backwards from the customer translation complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design.
- Delivering systems and features on schedule with high quality
- Staying current on technical knowledge to keep pace with rapidly changing technology, and work with the team in bringing new technologies on board
- Mentoring junior & midlevel engineers
- Working across teams to drive overall technical strategyBASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experiencePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• MS in Computer Science or equivalent
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Development experience defining, developing and maintaining REST based interfaces
• Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
• Experience building developer facing products and services
• Experience building frameworks for creating applications on various platforms
• Experience with speech and language understanding systems
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
• Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
Software and Programming